4499 NW 229th Ave (Map)
(Near Hillsboro Stadium)
Hillsboro, OR 97124
Hillsboro's first ever off-leash dog park, opened on September 17, 2007. It is open from dawn to dusk every day, except for Mondays and Thursdays when it is open from noon to dusk due to mowing and maintenance. The park is named in honor of Hillsboro Police K9 Dog Officer "Hondo," who lost his life in the line of duty 10 years ago. He is the only Hillsboro Police K9 to die in the line of duty. The park features a large mixed-size dog play area, a small/timid dog area and a special winter use area that can be enjoyed year-round. The design of the park is especially dog friendly with open grassy areas, trees for shade, dog drinking water stations, and two defunct fire hydrants painted and installed by volunteers.
Dog Park Area Status -- Winter Area Open
The winter area is open year-round (until 9 pm).
Other areas will close periodically during cold/wet time periods to protect the grass and maintain an enjoyable and safe dog park. Water may not be on seasonally.
- Main/Mixed Dog Area: Closed
- Small/Timid Dog Area: Closed
- **Main Dog Area is Closed on Mondays and Thursdays until 12 pm for Maintenance**
*This information is not guaranteed and is weather dependent. Last updated 6/23/16
Hondo Dog Park Current News & Accolades
- Interested in donating money for a brick to help the Hillsboro Dog Association raise funds for a shelter in the dog park winter area? More information here.
- Thanks to the fundraising efforts of the Hillsboro Dog Association and the support of many dog owners and enthusiasts in the community, Hondo Dog Park now has evening lighting and the winter area will be open until 9 pm daily (instead of dusk).
If you are interested in volunteering to help with the park, or with enhancing the quality of life of pets and pet owners through education and support of dog parks and other animal facilities in the Hillsboro community, please visit the Hillsboro Dog Association's website.
Off Leash Rules
Hours: Dawn to dusk, except winter area open until 9 pm with lighting in winter.
Closed Monday and Thursday mornings until noon for maintenance.
- Display identification tags showing proof of current license and rabies vaccination.
- Demonstrate appropriate social interaction; dogs displaying aggressive behavior toward people or other dogs must be leashed and removed from the area immediately.
- Pick up and dispose of your dog's waste.
- Carry a leash for each dog in your care, and leash your dog when outside the off-leash area.
- Closely supervise young children. Children under 12 must be supervised by an adult.
- Accept legal responsibility for any damage or injury caused by your dog. City of Hillsboro and Washington County are not responsible for any damages or injuries.
- Remain in the off-leash area to supervise your dog, keeping him within view and under verbal control at all times.
- Remove pinch, choke, and spiked collars when playing off-leash to prevent injury.
- Do not bring a dog in heat to the off-leash area (a citable offense).
- Do not bring a puppy without a complete cycle of vaccinations to the off-leash area.
- Never leave your dog unattended. Abandoned dogs will be impounded.
- No food (including dog treats) or alcohol inside the area
- Comply with all other park rules.
- Use of all tobacco products and vaping is prohibited on Parks & Recreation property.
Owners who see unattended dogs or other serious incidents such as dog biting should call Washington County Animal Services at (503) 846-7041. After hours call the non-emergency police dispatch at (503) 629-0111. Emergencies should be reported to 911.
Please click here for a Hondo Dog Park Q & A for more important information about the park.