News List

Hillsboro Public Works Prepares for Forecasted Snow

The City of Hillsboro Public Works and Water departments are closely monitoring the weather in advance of this week’s potential snow forecast. Safety is our top priority when there is severe weather. 

City of Hillsboro Planned Response

Snow plowTo be proactive, City of Hillsboro crews have serviced and readied snow plows, sanding equipment, and anti-icing solution. These steps ensure we are prepared to apply anti-icing solution, sand, and to perform snow plowing as needed to help prevent ice from forming and sticking to road surfaces.

The City's emergency responders are prepared for a higher call volume and will be using chains on emergency vehicles if necessary.

When inclement weather — such as snow, high winds, or freezing rain affects travel, our Public Works crews will work quickly to treat and clear priority City roadways. Priority roadways** include main roads, roads near hospitals and schools, and roads with characteristics such as hills, dips, bridges, or curves that may make them more challenging to travel in severe weather. This includes: 

  • E Main Street (from SE Baseline Street to NE Brookwood Parkway)
  • NE Jackson School Road
  • SE Minter Bridge Road
  • NE John Olsen Avenue
  • NE Century Boulevard
  • NE 25th Avenue
  • Other priority thoroughfares in the city
  • View the priority roadways map

Due to the number of City-maintained streets and the need to focus on main roads, crews will be unable to treat or plow residential streets.  

**Washington County and the Oregon Department of Transportation own and maintain other major roads within Hillsboro, such as Tualatin Valley Highway, 185th Avenue, Brookwood Parkway, Cornelius Pass Road, Evergreen Road, and Cornell Road. View the roadway jurisdiction map

In addition, the City’s Public Works and Parks & Recreation departments work together to clear and treat areas in front of public buildings and public parking lots.

Community Members Safety Tips
While Public Works Department crews are pro-actively preparing for this forecasted snow event, travelers are encouraged to prepare for winter travel: 

  • Carry a vehicle emergency kit that includes an ice scraper/snowbrush, blankets, gloves, winter boots, flashlights, jumper cables, emergency lights, cell phone, and a cell phone charger.
  • Check vehicle’s batteries, headlights, windshield wipers, coolants, and other systems, which can be impacted by low temperatures.
  • Traction devices - including snow tires, studded tires, chains, and tire socks - are required in three snow zones within Washington County during periods of inclement weather. Visit Washington County's Snow Zones webpage or Road Closures and Traffic Advisories website for more information on Washington County snow zones and traction devices.

Driving in the snow requires a certain set of driving skills that some Oregon residents rarely get to use. Here are some things to keep in mind:

  1. Slow down, signal early and brake gently. Assume roads may be slick when there are freezing temperatures outside.
  2. Increase following and stopping distance.
  3. Give the city’s anti-icing trucks, snow plows, sanding trucks, and other emergency vehicles plenty of extra room to operate safely.
  4. Carry chains and know how to use them.
  5. If you don’t need to drive, consider staying home or using public transit.
  6. Keep sidewalks clear outside your home so that people can move about safely.

If extreme weather arrives and you do not need to drive, consider staying home or using public transit. Residents, businesses, and property owners are asked to keep sidewalks adjacent to their property clear from snow or ice for community members who walk or use public transit.

For additional winter safety travel tips, visit the City’s severe weather webpage.

Contact Numbers to Keep On Hand

  • To report an urgent problem with City of Hillsboro streets, flooding, or downed trees, call the Public Works Department at 503-615-6509 (during business hours) and 503-629-0111 (after hours).
  • Report water emergencies to the Water Department at 503-615-6702 during business hours, or 503-615-6775 on the after-hours emergency pager.
  • To report a downed power line, call Portland General Electric at 503-464-7777 or 800-544-1795.
  • In case of a life-threatening emergency, please call 9-1-1.

Stay Informed During Winter Weather

Return to full list >>