Welcome to Hillsboro's Digital Newsroom! Here you will find Hillsboro's latest news and announcements. If you are a member of the media and need additional assistance, please contact us at 503-681-6100.
Winter Village Highlights 2017 Holiday Events in Hillsboro
Laughing at yourself is considered a sign of confidence, resilience, and optimism. Want proof? Visit Orenco Station this holiday season and watch Winter Village skaters of all ages laughing giddily from falling on the ice – while getting back up on their feet.
The annual ice skating tradition returns to kick off Hillsboro’s 2017 holiday events season on Friday, November 24. Now in its third year, Winter Village will take over Jerry Willey Plaza at Orenco Station for more than five weeks of ice skating sessions and holiday cheer, continuing through New Year’s Day 2018. This year, the ice skating season is longer – and so is the rink, which has expanded once again to give skaters an additional 17 feet of room to glide.
More than 14,000 ice skaters and spectators have enjoyed the Winter Village experience since 2015. Hillsboro children, teens, and adults all learn to take themselves a little less seriously by taking a long loop around the region’s only open-air ice skating rink, which measures 115 feet long.
City of Hillsboro Parks & Recreation Department employee Iris Ringer, lead organizer of Winter Village, says the surrounding businesses help round out the experience.
“Create a new holiday tradition this year,” Ringer said. “Grab a bite to eat, do a little shopping, lace up the ice skates for a skate session, then enjoy a hot beverage afterward.”
Visitors have the option of riding MAX Light Rail to the Orenco Station stop. See the full list of Winter Village activities, hours, and prices at Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/WinterVillage.
Save time: Fill out and print your required ice skating waiver before leaving home. Spend more time skating at Winter Village and less time waiting to borrow a pen!
Winter Village: Jerry Willey Plaza at Orenco Station
- Friday, November 24 through January 1
- Ice skating hours: 10 am – 10 pm
- November 27 – December 15: Monday – Friday special: Unlimited skating from 5 – 8:30 pm with a mid-session ice resurfacing break
- Skate sessions last 90 minutes and start at 10 am, 12 pm, 2 pm, 4 pm, 6 pm, 8 pm
- All ages and abilities welcome
- Admission: $12, including $2 skate rental (only $10 if you bring your own skates)
- Children 9 and under: $9 (includes skates)
- Ticket sales begin 15 minutes before each session (early arrival recommended)
- Limited skate sizes available