Welcome to Hillsboro's Digital Newsroom! Here you will find Hillsboro's latest news and announcements. If you are a member of the media and need additional assistance, please contact us at 503-681-6100.
City Manager's Report: We All Share the Responsibility of Listening
By City Manager Michael Brown
Here’s a question: Can you remember the last time you actively listened to a neighbor?
More than exchanging quick hellos or small talk about the weather, real listening requires concentrating on their words, thoughtfully considering their point of view, and allowing them to talk without interrupting them.
I’m proud of City of Hillsboro employees for recognizing the importance of listening to our neighbors. City employees listen when residents share ideas at an open house or at a City Council meeting.
They listen when concerned community members call, email, or write letters. When more than 5,000 community voices articulated a vision for our City’s future in the Hillsboro 2035 Community Plan, City employees listened and joined our community partners in taking action to make that vision a reality.
All of us who live in Hillsboro share a great responsibility for listening and remaining informed about our community. Here are some of the many ways you can stay educated and engaged in our City government:
- Attend a City Council meeting
- Provide your input at an open house meeting
- Serve on a City of Hillsboro board or commission
- Apply to be part of the Civic Leadership Academy
- Read the City Views print newsletter
- Explore the Hillsboro-Oregon.gov website (Thank you.)
- Read the Creciendo Juntos Spanish-language newsletter
- Follow the City of Hillsboro on social media
- Subscribe to the Happening in Hillsboro email newsletter
Our City government is made up of real people who work on real things. We’re neighbors who care about the safety and livability of our community, and we’re here to help you. As always, thank you for listening.