Welcome to Hillsboro's Digital Newsroom! Here you will find Hillsboro's latest news and announcements. If you are a member of the media and need additional assistance, please contact us at 503-681-6100.
Get the latest news and events directly to your email inbox with Happening in Hillsboro email updates.
Hillsboro Moves to Protect Data Privacy
It’s a fact. Sharing your personal information is essential to getting what you want.
Whether you sign up for swim lessons at SHARC, need a new library card, or activate a utility account, you need to be ready to share your name and contact information.
The City of Hillsboro understands its responsibilities to protect the privacy of this information, and City employees are committed to honoring the community’s trust by using the best practices. That’s why the Hillsboro City Council recently adopted data privacy principles to guide the City in the collection, storage, and use of community members’ personal information.
Steve Pleasant and Kelsey Parker of the City of Hillsboro’s Office of Innovation reached out to Hillsboro community members to ask about their data privacy concerns and how they would like to see the City protect personal information. Then, after consulting with national data experts and industry leaders, they recommended these five data privacy principles:
- The City values the privacy of our community members
- The City collects and keeps only the personal information needed to provide services and maintain community safety
- The City ensures responsible handling of community member data
- The City protects the security of community members' personal information
- The City takes concerns related to data privacy and accuracy seriously
With the data privacy principles now in place, City employees will work to ensure all City policies and procedures are set up to help keep personal information secure.