Welcome to Hillsboro's Digital Newsroom! Here you will find Hillsboro's latest news and announcements. If you are a member of the media and need additional assistance, please contact us at 503-681-6100.
City Manager's Report: First Responders Keep Us Safe by Working Together
by Robby Hammond, Interim City Manager and Assistant City Manager
As the fifth-largest city in Oregon, the employees in the City of Hillsboro’s Fire and Police departments have a tremendous public safety responsibility.
They help and protect more than 101,000 residents; more than 50,000 commuting workers; and tens of thousands of visitors, shoppers, and others who stop by Hillsboro on a given day.
It takes a quality team of professionals to effectively serve our community. And it takes their commitment to collaboration.
Hillsboro Fire and Police department employees train together throughout the year on the best ways to:
- Respond to an active shooter at a business, a school, or a hospital.
- Protect themselves if they are threatened while responding to a 9-1-1 call.
- Respond if an officer needs medical attention while on a scene.
- Deliver the best response to vehicle crashes, including those involving bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Provide the public with timely, accurate information and updates during and after an incident.
- Inform and care for community members suffering in grief after their loved one has died — and to support the City employees who deliver such difficult news.
Our public safety professionals represent the best of our City while serving at community events as part of the joint Honor Guard, or while protecting community members at events such as the Oregon International Air Show.
Through their training and teamwork, they rise to the challenge when the situation demands it.
Hillsboro’s population growth hasn’t diminished our teamwork. More than ever, we are at our best when we work together.
Hillsboro is one of the largest full-service cities in Oregon with both police and fire departments. Thank you to all City of Hillsboro first responders for working together to make that possible.
Get news and event information directly to your inbox with Happening in Hillsboro email updates.