This grievance procedure is established to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It may be used by anyone who wishes to appeal the decision of a department in response to a request for accommodation or modification of services, activities, programs or benefits by the City of Hillsboro. This grievance procedure does not apply to allegations of discrimination in employment policies or practices.
This grievance procedure is established to provide a vehicle that will allow objective fact finding to occur, followed by a discussion of options, with mediation that attempts to find a mutually acceptable solution to any issue identified. The goal of this process is to preclude the need to grieve or appeal a request for accommodation to another level of government.
- The complainant and/or their designee should submit the grievance as soon as possible, but no later than 60 calendar days after the alleged discrimination, to the City of Hillsboro ADA Coordinator.
- The grievance should be in writing and contain the following information about the alleged discrimination: Name, address, phone number of complainant; location, date, and description of the alleged discrimination; and date and name of department contact involved in the alleged discrimination. Upon request, alternative means of filing grievances, such as personal interviews or a tape recording of the grievance, will be made available for persons with disabilities.
- The ADA Coordinator will consult with the City ADA Committee on all grievances filed against the City. The individual filing the grievance may appear before the ADA Accessibility Advisory Committee to discuss the issue, to allow the Committee to facilitate a resolution of the issue.
- Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the grievance, the City ADA Coordinator, or committee, will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions.
- Within 15 calendar days after the meeting, the City ADA Coordinator will respond in writing, and where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, such as large print, Braille, or audio tape. The response will provide a final resolution of the grievance.
- If an individual who has filed a grievance continues to have concerns after this process concludes, they are welcome to bring any unresolved concerns to the City of Hillsboro City Council by letter, personal appearance, or other means.
- All appeals received and responses given by the City ADA Coordinator will be kept by the City of Hillsboro for at least three years, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the City Records Retention Schedule.
City of Hillsboro ADA Accessibility Advisory Committee:
To request a meeting with the City of Hillsboro ADA Accessibility Advisory Committee, please contact the City of Hillsboro ADA Coordinator:
City of Hillsboro ADA Coordinator
Human Resources Department/Risk Management Division
150 E Main St. Second Floor
Hillsboro, OR 97123-3999