The City of Hillsboro and Fukuroi, Japan formed a Sister City relationship more than 25 years ago in 1988. In October 2014, an adult delegation from Fukuroi visited Hillsboro to renew the two cities friendship. Ten Japanese students taking part in the cultural student exchange program visited Hillsboro in April 2015. Host families provided home-stay experiences for the students which helps to cultivate cultural understanding and new friendships.
Fukuroi is on the coastal plain in southwestern Shizuoka Prefecture. It is bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the south. The area has a mild maritime climate with hot, humid summers, and short, cool winters.
- Distance from Hillsboro: 4,943 miles
- Population: 84,932
- Average High/Low Temperatures: 72 degrees/58 degrees
- Average Annual Rainfall: 8 inches
- Agriculture: Main crops are green tea and melons
- Industry: Includes food processing, cosmetics,
pharmaceutical plants, electronics and automotive components
- Currency: Yen
- Local Time: 16 hours ahead of our time
|Fukuroi City Hall
|| Musk Melons
| Fukuroi City Flower - Garden Cosmos
|| Fukuroi City Bird - Ural Owl
||Fukuroi City Tree - Sweet Osmanthus