Our Sister City: Fukuroi, Japan
The City of Hillsboro and Fukuroi, Japan formed a Sister City relationship that is celebrating 30 years in 2018. In October 2014, an adult delegation from Fukuroi visited Hillsboro to renew the friendship of the two cities.
Student Exchange Program and Visits
Ten Japanese students taking part in the cultural student exchange program visited Hillsboro in April 2015. Host families provided home-stay experiences for the students, which helps to cultivate cultural understanding and new friendships.
Most recently, nine Hillsboro students traveled to Fukuroi in June 2017 as student ambassadors and global citizens.
Fukuroi is on the coastal plain in southwestern Shizuoka Prefecture. It is bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the south. The area has a mild maritime climate with hot, humid summers, and short, cool winters.
- Distance from Hillsboro: 4,943 miles
- Population: 84,932
- Average High/Low Temperatures: 72 degrees/58 degrees
- Average Annual Rainfall: 8 inches
- Agriculture: Main crops are green tea and musk melons, like the Shizouka Crown Musk Melon
- Industry: Includes food processing, cosmetics, pharmaceutical plants, electronics and automotive components
- Currency: Yen
- Local Time: 16 hours ahead of our time
City Flag of Fukuroi, Japan
Fukuroi Enshu Fireworks
The City Bird of Fukuroi is the Ural Owl
The City Flower of Fukuroi is the Garden Cosmos
The City Tree of Fukuroi is the Sweet Osmanthus