COVID-19: Many City facilities and all playgrounds are closed. View our City Facilities and Parks Status Map to see what's open.
Get the latest coronavirus updates on our COVID-19 webpage. Para actualizaciones en español, visite nuestra página de Noticias.
PPE Grants Open: Apply for the Hillsboro Protective Equipment Grant for small businesses. Solicite una subvención para pequeñas empresas.

Home Occupation Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is a Home Occupation?

Hillsboro Community Development Code Section 12.01.500 defines a Home Occupation as a lawful business conducted on a residential property by the principal residents and not more than two closely related persons, where the business operation is secondary to the use of the dwelling.  Standards for approval and operation of Home Occupations are contained in 12.40.170.

Who needs a Home Occupation Permit?

Any person living in a residential zone in the City of Hillsboro who wishes to operate a business in her/his home must have an approved Home Occupation Permit (HOP) and site plan. This includes businesses such as home based music instruction, personal care services, professional offices, business services, etc. Applications for Home Occupations are reviewed by the Planning Department and there is no fee associated with this process. After receiving approval of your HOP, you must also apply to the City Finance Department for your City Business License, which must be renewed annually. Contact the Finance Department  for a Business License application and fees. The HOP does not have to be renewed unless the nature of the business changes, you add a second business, or the residential address changes.

Click on the following link for a Home Occupation Permit Application.

Businesses that do not require a HOP include:

  • garage sales as permitted by the City's Municipal Code
  •  family daycare for up to 16 children or up to 12 adults
  • residential homes or adult foster homes caring for up to five adults.

Businesses that are not allowed to operate as Home Occupations include:

  • Auto-body repair and painting;
  • On-going mechanical repair conducted outside of an entirely enclosed building;
  • Junk and salvage operations;
  • Storage and/or sale of fireworks; and
  • Any use that is consistent with the definition of Home Occupation, but that does not comply with the standards below.


How to Submit/Timing:

You may fill out the HOP application in person at the Planning Department on the 4th Floor of the Hillsboro Civic Center, 150 East Main Street, Hillsboro. The application can be reviewed and approved over the counter. Or, you can request a copy of the HOP application be mailed to you by calling  (503) 681-6153. Or, print out a PDF version of the application (linked above) . Then mail your completed form with a site plan to the City of Hillsboro Planning Department at 150 East Main Street , Hillsboro, OR 97123. The approved application will be mailed back to you and a copy will be forwarded to the Finance Department to be included with your Business License.

Property Owner Signature/Approval:

If you are not the property owner of the residence where the home occupation is operated, you must obtain a signature of approval from the property owner. A letter of permission may be attached in lieu of a signature.

If you have any questions, please call the Planning Department at (503) 681-6153.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer