The Hillsboro Police Department Cadet Program is a civilian group of volunteers between the ages of 15 and 20 who have an interest in law enforcement. HPD Cadets gain hands on experience and training in the field of law enforcement while working to develop leadership skills that will enable them to go in any career direction they choose.
Working individually and as a team, Cadets participate in a number of HPD outreach events, assist patrol officers with a variety of assignments including traffic details, ride-alongs, minor in possession details and more. Cadets also participate in a yearly Law Enforcement Challenge with other agency cadets.
Cadets who meet all the program requirements are also eligible to receive scholarships to assist with college.
If you have ever wondered what a career in law enforcement would be like, the HPD Cadet Program is for you! Where your training as a Cadet takes you, is up to you!
- Be 15-20 years of age at the time of application.
- Be a high school graduate or be a student attending high school and maintaining a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Possess or have the ability to immediately obtain a valid driver's license or permit, and maintain a good driving record.
- No criminal convictions or violations classifiable as a Class A Misdemeanor or higher.
Becoming a Cadet:
- Application process opens in late summer, contact us below for additional information.
- Successfully complete an Interview, background check & drug screen.
- Attend the Cadet Academy - Classes are held on consecutive Saturdays.
Once accepted into the program, Cadets receive 12 weeks of training at the Regional Cadet Academy. The Cadet Academy is a condensed version of the Oregon State Police Academy which is attended by regular police officers. The classes are held on consecutive Saturdays. Cadets are trained in report writing, drug investigations, fire arms, defensive tactics, building searches, and other areas of police work.
|Naylor, Cindy||Police Project Coordinator||Police||503-681-6140||Cindy.Naylor@hillsboro-oregon.gov|