Join Our Team:
The Hillsboro Police Department actively seeks individuals interested in becoming a part of an organization with a rich history and innovative future. Serving a diverse community, we want self-motivated people seeking a career like no other.
Community Policing can be a very rewarding profession that provides you with opportunities to make a difference in the community, to know the citizens you serve and to proactively enforce the law. It is more than a job - it is a unique profession filled with opportunities and excitement. Our specialty assignments include: Youth Services, Investigations, Motorcycle/Traffic team, Tactical/Hostage Negotiation teams, Field Training Officer, Canine Unit, Crisis Intervention team, and Interagency Teams for Narcotics, Gangs and Transit.
Located in the heart of Oregon's silicon forest, surrounded by Intel corporate campuses, Genentech, SolarWorld and other emerging high tech businesses, Hillsboro strives to be an innovative leader in law enforcement. We work hard to serve those who live here as well as those who come and go.
Hillsboro is located 20 minutes from downtown Portland with easy access to MAX light rail and an hour from recreational activities at the Oregon Coast and Mt. Hood. Hillsboro is also home to a Class A Minor League baseball team, the Hillsboro Hops.
Officer Eligibility Entry Requirements:
- High School Diploma (college experience is preferred)
- US Citizen
- At least 21 years old
- No felony convictions
- Safe driving record
- Good physical and mental health
- Complete the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards & Training Academy within 12 months of hire
- Automatic Disqualifiers to becoming an HPD Police Officer
- HPD Officer recruitments are held at various times of the year. To be notified of HPD law enforcement job openings fill out the job interest form.
- Information on HPD Officer Testing - Written & Physical
- PERS retirement
- Medical and dental plans
- Tuition reimbursement
- Bilingual incentive pay
- Incentive pay for intermediate/advanced certifications
Military Veterans are welcome and encouraged to apply. HPD is certified by the Veteran’s Administration (VA) through the Bureau of Labor & Industries as an OJT site for both full time and reserve military veterans.
The program works like the VA’s college plan and provides additional funding for recruits while they attend the academy and go through PTOP (Police Training Officer Program). The funding amount varies and is based on a VA calculated formula.