The City of Hillsboro, through its Code Compliance Program, has adopted a Vacant Property Registry Ordinance (VPR) to facilitate timely notification to those with a vested interest in abandoned properties. Rather than the City assume the role of property manager, the registry provides a cost-effective path allowing communication with local property managers responsible for the maintenance of distressed residential properties.
The goal is to improve the overall condition of properties, to protect neighborhoods from declining property values, and to preserve the health, safety and welfare of our community. To accomplish this goal, the City is committed to working with, and educating all citizens, lenders, banks, and people with a collateral interest in our community.
VPR Registration Process:
All banks and lenders are required to inspect homes within thirty (30) days after filing a “Notice of Default” with Washington County, OR. During this inspection, or at anytime it is discovered that a property is abandoned, you are required to register that property (free of charge) with the Hillsboro Police Department.
For each of these abandoned properties, you must hire a local property management company to over-see and maintain the property to the maintenance standards listed below. In addition, a sign shall be posted identifying a 24-hour phone number for a responsible person who can be contacted in an emergency. Included with these requirements, you must record any change of ownership or transfer of title with the Hillsboro Police Department within thirty (30) calendar days of the change.
VPR Minimum Property Maintenance Standards:
- Every existing building, structure and premise shall be maintained in a safe and sanitary condition and in good repair.
- The physical elements of every building, structure, or portion thereof shall be maintained in a condition as close as reasonably feasible to their originally required and approved state.
- Buildings must be maintained secure – inaccessible to all unauthorized entry.
- Broken, cracked, or damaged glass or plastics in windows or doors shall be replaced.
- Maintain rain gutters and drain pipes in good repair and in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Ensure all yards are cut and trimmed, free from overgrown vegetation, and the ensuing debris disposed of properly.
- Maintained free from junk, rubbish, garbage, trash, solid waste or other similar material.
- Maintained free from graffiti.
- Maintain an easily recognized and legible notice providing a phone number in case of an emergency.