Fireplaces, Wood Stoves and Wood Stove Inserts
Between November 1 and March 1 each year, Washington County will issue a daily air quality advisory. On “Yellow” air days residents will be asked to avoid burning wood, and on “Red” air days residents will be prohibited from burning.
More information and tips on clean burning can be found by visiting the EPA website.
* On "RED" days, exemptions apply
- To households that rely on wood burning as their only source of heat
- To households that qualify as low-income
- When there is an interruption in utility service (electricity or natural gas)
- When a household's primary heating system is temporarily not working (no more than 120 days)
The ordinance does not restrict the use of pellet stoves. The ordinance does not restrict burning between March 2 and October 31.
To find out when air quality is in the "Yellow" or "Red" category:
- Internet: Washington County website - http://www.co.washington.or.us/air
- Automated Notifications: Sign up for daily alerts via email, text or phone call at www.publicalerts.org. You must first register on the "Community Notification Enrollment" form and then be sure to select "Air Quality and Wood Burning Alerts" under "Additional Notifications", then select how you would like to be notified.
- Phone: Call the Washington County Air Quality Hotline at 503-846-8744.
- Media: Radio, TV and news outlets will be notified of "Red" air quality days so alerts should be announced on local radio and TV stations.
Wood Stove Exchange Program
Older and non-certified wood stoves and wood stove inserts are inefficient, dirty and can pollute the air inside your home and in your neighborhood. If you use one of these old stoves , we can help you replace it with a new heating system for little or no cost.
Washington County is now offering rebates of $1,500-$3,500 (some households will qualify for a FREE replacement, based on income) when you replace your old wood stove or insert with one of the following:
- Electric ductless heat pump
- Gas stove or insert
- Pellet stove or insert
- Gas furnace
- EPA certified wood stove or wood stove insert (only available to households who are eligible for a free replacement).