City code prohibits outdoor burning year-round. Exceptions include recreational fires (such as fire pits, chimineas and barbecues).
Alternatives to Burning Yard Debris
Contact Your Waste Hauler
- Contact your waste hauler to request an additional yard debris cart*
- Place extra yard debris in paper Lawn & Yard Debris Refuse bags (available at Home Depot and other home improvement stores) and leave next to your roll cart on pick-up days*
*Additional charges may apply so be sure to inquire with your waste hauler
Self Haul to Local Recyclers
- Best Buy In Town Landscape Supply
2200 NW Cornelius Pass Road, Hillsboro
- S & H Landscape Supplies & Recycling
1748 NE 25th Avenue, Hillsboro
- Hillsboro Landfill and Tualatin Valley Waste Recovery
3205 SE Minter Bridge Road, Hillsboro
- Nature's Needs
9570 NW 307th Avenue, North Plains
Yard Debris Composting
Visit Metro's website for information and resources about yard debris composting.
- For general questions about the ordinance and information on alternatives to yard debris burning, call 503-681-6219.
- To report a violation of the wood burning ordinance in Hillsboro, call Hillsboro Code Compliance at 503-629-0111.
- Wood and open burning in unincorporated Washington County or call 503-846-8744.
- Sign-up for daily air quality alerts:
1. Visit www. public alerts.org
2. Select "Sign Up" under "Emergency Notifications"
3. Create an account
4. Check the box for the "Air Quality and Wood Burning Alerts"