Downtown Hillsboro and Southwest Industrial District
Downtown Hillsboro is an active district and the historic center of the City, with buildings dating to the late 1800s. The Civic Center (city hall) is located here, along with the Washington County courthouse and administrative offices situated right across the street. Downtown is also home to the local community hospital - Oregon Health & Science University partner, Tuality Healthcare - and Pacific University's College of Health Professions.
Situated at the end of the MAX light rail Blue Line, Downtown Hillsboro is an easy commute for the thousands of people who come to the district for work and school. There are also dozens of shops and restaurants, as well as the Glenn and Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center, and two live theater companies. Numerous outdoor events also take place on the streets of the district, including the seasonal Saturday Farmers’ Market and Tuesday Night Market, and the annual Celebrate Hillsboro event.
In addition to the historic residential neighborhoods surrounding the Downtown district, new vertical housing developments offer urban living alternatives right in the heart of the commercial district. Walk-able streets, easy access to public transit, and an increasing variety of amenities make Downtown living an attractive option.
Downtown Hillsboro has an economic improvement district to fund economic development projects and activities. It also has a staffed downtown association–the Hillsboro Downtown Partnership–that is affiliated with Oregon Main Street, a state program geared toward revitalizing downtown districts through historic preservation and strategic economic development activities.
Downtown Hillsboro offers:
- An urban renewal district encompassing approximately 1,100 acres
- An economic improvement district encompassing 12 square blocks
- Two enterprise zone areas (Downtown and Southwest Industrial Districts
- The adjacent Southwest Industrial District, home to existing industrial users, and seeking additional light- and cottage - manufacturing industries
- Competitive rates for retail, office and industrial space
- A storefront improvement program
- Vertical housing incentives
For additional information on Downtown Hillsboro or the Southwest Industrial District, contact Karla Antonini via e-mail or by phone, 503-681-6181.