The City of Hillsboro is growing great things, including helping people develop the skills for a meaningful career!
City of Hillsboro Internship Program
The City of Hillsboro strives to connect students with valuable experiences, such as internships in local government. Internships are available for students currently enrolled in high school or college. These paid internships are designed to provide opportunities that align with students’ career and college pathways.
Apply for an Internship
To explore and apply for current internship opportunities, please visit our career portal.
BenefitsInterns are considered part-time employees, and are not eligible for medical or dental benefits or paid leave such as vacation, personal leave, or holidays. Benefits that are provided include:
- Tri-Met pass for duration of placement
- Membership to Shute Park Recreation & Aquatic Center
- One hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked
- Bilingual interns (Spanish/English) who use both languages for the position, can earn additional 3%
- Professional development opportunities such as resume writing, interview workshops, and online training
Additional Opportunities for Students
For other opportunities for students to get involved, check out our:
Contact Us for More Information
For more information about internships, please email our Youth Workforce Development Team, or call 503-681-6455.
Job Training Opportunity Program (JTOP)
The JTOP program started in early 2013 and came from our strong desire to encourage creativity while serving our constituents. With one-third of Hillsboro residents speaking a language other than English at home, we recognized that JTOP could help us to accomplish a Hillsboro 2020 Vision Plan p riority: to celebrate and build on our City’s diversity.
- Hillsboro’s Job Training Opportunity Program (JTOP) includes temporary entry level customer service assistant positions in various departments.
- These positions are specifically for individuals who are bilingual in English and Spanish and have some experience working with a diverse population.
- JTOP positions are part-time (20 hours per week) and 6 months in duration. Recruitment for these positions happens annually in the fall. The positions are posted at the City’s career portal.
Apply for a JTOP Position
Applications for our fall 2019 JTOP positions will open on October 21. Visit our career portal to view the opportunities.
Creating Opportunities and Serving Our Community
The Job Training Opportunity Program gives our talented, bilingual citizens the opportunity for work experience and training that could inspire a career in public service. Bilingual employees help provide better service to our Spanish-speaking community members.
For many JTOP participants, the program creates an opportunity to work in city government that might not otherwise have come about.
The JTOP program brings out the best in our community. It provides excellent customer service. And it is inclusive to out City's diverse voices and ideas.
For more information on JTOP, email our Youth Workforce Development Team or call 503-681-6455.