The City of Hillsboro is growing great things and we are dedicated to help students and community members develop essential skills to help get them ready for meaningful careers.
City of Hillsboro Internship Program
The City of Hillsboro strives to connect students with opportunities, such as internships in local government. Our paid Internships are available for students currently enrolled in high school or college and are designed to provide opportunities that align with students’ career and college pathways.
Apply for an Internship
To explore and apply for current internship opportunities, please visit our career portal.
- Tri-Met pass for duration of placement
- Membership to Shute Park Recreation & Aquatic Center
- One hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked
- Bilingual interns (Spanish/English) who use both languages for the position, can earn an additional 3% incentive pay
- Professional development opportunities such as resume writing, interview workshops, and online training
- Access to the City's Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Additional Opportunities for Students
For other opportunities for students to get involved, check out our:
Contact Us for More Information
For more information about internships, please email our Youth Workforce Development Team, or call 503-681-6455.
Job Training Opportunity Program (JTOP)
The JTOP program started in early 2013 and came from our strong desire to encourage creativity while serving our community. With one-third of Hillsboro residents speaking a language other than English at home, we recognized that JTOP could help us to accomplish a Hillsboro 2020 Vision Plan priority: to celebrate and build on our City’s diversity.
- Hillsboro’s Job Training Opportunity Program (JTOP) includes temporary entry level customer service assistant positions in various departments.
- These positions are specifically for individuals who are bilingual in English and Spanish and have some experience working with a diverse population.
- JTOP positions are part-time (20 hours per week) and 6 months in duration. Recruitment for these positions happens annually in the fall.
Apply for a JTOP Position
We are currently accepting applications for Customer Service Assistant - Job Training Opportunity Program positions.
Applications close on November 22, 2019 at 5 pm.
Creating Opportunities and Serving Our Community
The Job Training Opportunity Program gives our talented, bilingual community members the opportunity for work experience and training that could inspire a career in public service. Bilingual employees help provide better service to our Spanish-speaking community members.
For many JTOP participants, the program creates an opportunity to work in city government that might not otherwise have come about.
The JTOP program brings out the best in our community. It provides excellent customer service. And it is inclusive to out City's diverse voices and ideas.
For more information on JTOP, email our Youth Workforce Development Team or call 503-681-6455.