To further enhance accountability and transparency, the Hillsboro Police Department has a specialized unit called the Office of Professional Standards (OPS).
This specialized unit oversees:
- Recruiting and hiring
- Policy and procedures
- Internal affairs investigations
The unit also oversees maintenance of our new employee tracking database called “IA Pro.’’ The IA Pro database allows the department to collect and analyze incident level information on the following crucial police activities:
- Force response
- Citizen complaints
- Administrative complaints
- Firearms discharge
- Lost/damaged City property
- K-9 deployments
Policy and Procedures Manual
Our full policy manual website is currently under construction as we switch platforms. We recognize there is a public interest in several policies, so we are making these active policies available here as we build the new policy manual platform.
- 301 General Force Response Guidelines
- 302 Post-Force Response Process and Reporting
- 304 Physical Restraints
- 305 Discharge of Firearms With No Human Injury
- 401 Apprehension and Arrest
- 528 Crimes or Incidents Motivated by Hatred or Prejudice
- 1004 Complaints and Investigations of Complaints
- 1011 Profiling and Unbiased Policing
2018 A Year in Review
Each day we remain focused on community policing and fulfilling our mission:
- To work with the community to prevent and suppress crime
- To develop a creative, diverse and professional workforce
- To serve people sincerely and professionally
- To earn and hold the public trust
- To build valued partnerships
- Honor justice through fairness
We strive to make each year more successful and productive than the last. Thank you for your continued support.
2019 Annual Summary of Complaints
During 2019, Hillsboro officers responded to 72,296 calls for service. Out of those, the department received 36 community complaints which equates to an average of one complaint for approximately every 2,008 calls for service.
Although the low number of complaints is a positive reflection of the quality of employees who serve the community, we take complaints seriously and make a point to investigate each one thoroughly.
It is our goal to constantly strive to improve our service and examining the actions of our employees provides a mechanism for improving performance, training, and compliance with policy.