Public Alert – All City facilities, playgrounds, sports courts, and recreation equipment are closed through April 28 in an effort to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our community. Get the latest coronavirus updates, cancellations, and information on our COVID-19 webpage.

Para actualizaciones sobre el coronavirus en español, visite a nuestra página de noticias.



The Development Services section of the Engineering Division is responsible for Development Plan Review, Permitting, GIS Data Management, and Public Asset Management.

Development Plan Review and PermittingCustomer assistance at Engineering counter

The Development Services group serves as the front-line support staff for the design and construction of development-related and capital public infrastructure projects, and issuance of Public Infrastructure Permits. Development Services staff coordinate the technical review of engineering construction drawings, process permits, and handle administrative documentation for new public infrastructure.

Development Review consists of the Public Works department reviewing construction plans and ensuring that projects are constructed as designed. The City has adopted the Public Works Design and Construction Standards and adherence to these standards is required for all projects, large or small. Depending on the complexity of the project, design plans may also be reviewed by the Planning, BuildingWater and Fire & Rescue Departments for compliance with other applicable codes. 

A simplified work flow showing the Engineering permitting process is shown below:

Graphic: Permit Work Flow

Grading and Erosion Control Plan Review

Along with technical review of construction plans, nearly all projects must also undergo Grading and Erosion Control plan review and permit issuance prior to project implementation. Through properly designed and installed erosion control measures applied to each construction site, we seek to minimize sediment-laden surface water runoff from these sites into the Storm Sewer System.

Other Right-of-Way Uses

Development Services also reviews and issues permits for activities that temporarily impact the right-of-way (public streets and sidewalks). Homeowners and licensed contractors needing to repair or replace sidewalks, plant street trees, or connect a lateral to a storm, sanitary, or water line will need to submit appropriate plans to obtain a Right-of-Way/Easement Permit. Likewise, franchise utility companies operating in Hillsboro will need to submit plans to obtain a Franchise Utility Permit before any work can begin in the Right-of-Way for utility access, repair, or replacement.

Sidewalk Vendor Permit may be issued for: 1) Restaurants and businesses with available public sidewalk space adjacent to their location to place tables, chairs, and other equipment and services outside; or 2) Mobile vendor businesses wanting to operate on sidewalks that are independent from the businesses around them.

Events that require temporary closure of public streets and sidewalks such as parades, walks, races, tours, and special markets may apply for a Special Events Permit. Similarly, neighborhoods can apply to close a local street or cul-de-sac to vehicle traffic for temporary events using a Block Party Permit.

For a list of all permit applications and an overview of their uses please visit the Public Works Permit Applications webpage. If you have any questions regarding this process, please call us at 503-681-6146 or email us at

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer