Hillsboro residents and visitors will enjoy improved active transportation options and neighborhood livability upon the completion of the City's Jackson School Road improvement project.
Improvements to NE Jackson School Road will start at NE Grant Street and end at NE Evergreen Road.
Jackson School Road provides access to:
- Adjacent residential development,
- Jackson, Lincoln, and Mooberry Elementary schools,
- Hamby Park,
- TriMet bus service (Route 47 at Evergreen),
- Downtown Hillsboro, and
- Highway 26.
Jackson School Road is currently a two-lane roadway with intermittent center turn lanes and incomplete sidewalks. It lacks safe bicycle lanes and has limited roadway lighting.
Many sections of Jackson School Road lack sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and center turn lanes.
Each day, about 8,000 vehicles travel on NE Jackson School Road. Over the next 20 years, traffic is projected to increase to about 10,000 vehicles per day.
Frequently Asked Questions
View the Jackson School Road Project Frequently Asked Questions PDF with answers to commonly asked project questions.
Improving the Jackson School Road corridor has been part of the area's Transportation System Plan for more than four decades. In 2015, this project was transferred from the Washington County's Major Streets Transportation Improvement Program to be managed by the City of Hillsboro. The project is currently part of the City's Bicycle and Pedestrian Capital Improvement Program.
- Add a cycle track (bicycle lanes separated from the vehicle lanes)
- Create a three lane roadway with one lane in each direction and a center left turn lane
- Street lighting
- Glencoe Swale culvert replacement between NE Rogahn Street and NW Evergreen Road
- Storm system upgrades along the roadway
- Add landscaped planter strips with street trees
- Relocate of utilities underground as approved by the City Council in April 2018
The project is on schedule and in final design.
The City is continuing negotiations with property owners to acquire the final portions of land needed for the project.
- Property Acquisition (Fall 2017 to Summer 2019)
- Final Design (Fall 2018 to Summer 2019)
- Tree and Vegetation Work (October 21, 2019 to January 31, 2020)
- Construction (Winter 2019 to Winter 2022)
- Encourage active transportation by providing enhanced bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Improve access to and from NE Jackson School Road and adjacent residential neighborhoods for all modes of travel
- Construct a roadway to meet current and future demands with lower long-term maintenance requirements
- Install green infrastructure where possible, including landscaping, street trees, and vegetated stormwater features
- Make this street a pleasant, attractive, and comfortable place to travel
This project is primarily financed through 10 special-funded sources, each of which are earmarked for funding certain parts of the project, such as bicycle and pedestrian facilities, stormwater improvements, access to transit, etc.
- Washington County Major Streets Transportation Improvement Program, phase 3D
- Traffic Impact Fee for Transit
- Transportation Development Tax
- Transportation Utility Fee Pathways
- Surface Water Management Funds System Development Charge
- Surface Water Management Local Service Fee
- Traffic Impact Fee for Collector Roadways
- Strategic Investment Program (SIP)
- Hillsboro Water Department
- Hillsboro Parks & Recreation Department
The current construction estimate for the project is $19.3 million.
- Project Overview Map and Fact Sheet
- Jackson School Road 90-Percent Design Roll Map
- Current Rose Garden Design
Open House Materials
- Area Map
- Before and After Visualizations
- Project Schedule
- Roundabout Map
- Design Strip Map
- Typical Section Right of Way Map
- Jackson School Road Visualization Video
- Call 503-681-6146
- Email the Public Works Department
- Visit or send mail to:
City of Hillsboro Public Works Department
4415 NE 30th Ave
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124
The Facts About the Jackson School Road Improvement Project
The project will add sidewalks, bike facilities, street lighting, and other safety features.
Progress Report: Transportation and Improvement Projects
See updates on transportation and improvement projects throughout Hillsboro.
Jackson School Road Improvements Project Update
Keep up-to-date on the City's project to improve the Jackson School Road corridor.