Current Activity and Schedule
Undergrounding of utilities has moved north of Harewood, and continues north to Evergreen Rd. Road construction continues from Grant to Sunrise, placing storm sewer and water line pipe.
The north and south lanes of NE Jackson School Road - between NE Grant St and NE Harewood St - are scheduled to be temporarily closed to traffic from July 13 to August 13, 2020, for a culvert replacement by Hamby Park. Local access will be allowed using detours routes north and south of the closure area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Responses to questions received from members of the community about the project and construction are available here.
These documents will be updated periodically.
Construction will run from spring 2020 to fall 2022. The schedule is subject to change without notice.
Undergrounding Utilities - NE Grant to NE Evergreen
- Spring 2020 through spring 2021
NE Grant to NE Sunrise
- Spring 2020 through winter 2020
NE Estate Dr to NE Evergreen Rd
- Winter 2021 through fall 2022
NE Sunrise to NE Estate Dr
- Fall 2020 through summer 2021
Harold Eastman Memorial Rose Garden
- Roses are scheduled to return home in fall 2022
Jackson School Road is currently a two-lane roadway with intermittent center turn lanes and incomplete sidewalks. It lacks safe bicycle lanes and has limited roadway lighting.
Each day, about 8,000 vehicles travel on NE Jackson School Road. Over the next 20 years, traffic is projected to increase to about 10,000 vehicles per day.
Improvements to NE Jackson School Road will start at NE Grant Street and end at NE Evergreen Road.
Jackson School Road provides access to:
- Adjacent residential development,
- Jackson, Lincoln, and Mooberry Elementary schools,
- Hamby Park,
- TriMet bus service (Route 47 at Evergreen),
- Downtown Hillsboro, and
- Highway 26.
- Add a cycle track (bicycle lanes separated from the vehicle lanes)
- Create a three-lane roadway with one lane in each direction and a center left turn lane
- Street lighting
- Glencoe Swale culvert replacement between NE Rogahn Street and NW Evergreen Road
- Storm system upgrades along the roadway
- Add landscaped planter strips with street trees
- Relocation of utilities underground as approved by the City Council in April 2018
Improving the Jackson School Road corridor has been part of the area's Transportation System Plan for more than four decades. In 2015, this project was transferred from the Washington County's Major Streets Transportation Improvement Program to be managed by the City of Hillsboro. The project is currently part of the City's Bicycle and Pedestrian Capital Improvement Program.
- Encourage active transportation by providing enhanced bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Improve access to and from NE Jackson School Road and adjacent residential neighborhoods for all modes of travel
- Construct a roadway to meet current and future demands with lower long-term maintenance requirements
- Install green infrastructure where possible, including landscaping, street trees, and vegetated stormwater features
- Make this street a pleasant, attractive, and comfortable place to travel
This project is primarily financed through 10 special-funded sources, each of which are earmarked for funding certain parts of the project, such as bicycle and pedestrian facilities, stormwater improvements, access to transit, etc.
- Washington County Major Streets Transportation Improvement Program, phase 3D
- Traffic Impact Fee for Transit
- Transportation Development Tax
- Transportation Utility Fee Pathways
- Surface Water Management Funds System Development Charge
- Surface Water Management Local Service Fee
- Traffic Impact Fee for Collector Roadways
- Strategic Investment Program (SIP)
- Hillsboro Water Department
- Hillsboro Parks & Recreation Department
A construction contract was awarded at the February 4, 2020, City Council Meeting to Pacific Excavation, Inc. in the amount of $21,473,000.00.
February 27, 2020 Open House Materials
- Project Schedule
- Design Strip Map
- Detailed Design Strip Map
- Detour Map
- Jackson School Road Visualization Video
- Construction Fact Sheet
The Facts About the Jackson School Road Improvement Project
The project will add sidewalks, bike facilities, street lighting, and other safety features.
Progress Report: Transportation and Improvement Projects
See updates on transportation and improvement projects throughout Hillsboro.
Jackson School Road Improvements Project Update
Keep up-to-date on the City's project to improve the Jackson School Road corridor.