In a combined effort between the City and community, a total of 4,892 cubic yards of leaves were collected during the annual Fall Leaf Program in November and December 2018.
A huge thanks to the community for their participation!
City of Hillsboro residents can easily recycle fall leaves thanks to the leaf pick-up and drop-off programs offered by the Public Works Department.
These longstanding programs serve to:
- Keep the 230 miles of City streets clean and reliable
- Reduce flooding caused by leaves clogging storm drains
- Prevent debris from flowing downstream into water quality facilities, creeks, and streams
Curbside Leaf Pick-Up
The Curbside Leaf Pick-Up season runs November 1 to December 20, 2018.
The City of Hillsboro has eight districts for leaf pick-up. In each district, the City picks up leaves once in November and again in December. Please note pick-up schedules may change due to emergencies or severe weather.
Maps and Schedule
To determine which leaf district your address is in and review the leaf pick-up schedule, visit the links below or call 503-615-6509.
A map and schedule will also be included as an insert in the City of Hillsboro Utility Bill.
To participate in the curbside leaf pick-up program:
- Place leaves in the street no earlier than one week before each of the two scheduled pick-up dates for your area.
- Pile leaves – from street trees only – in a row on your street a minimum of 18 inches away from your curb.
- Keep leaf rows less than three feet high.
- Do not block bike lanes, sidewalks, pathways, mailboxes, driveways, or intersections with leaf piles.
- Loose leaves are preferred instead of bagged. If bags are necessary, please use biodegradable paper bags. Plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Place leaves separate from garbage cans and yard debris bins.
- Remove any obstructions, including basketball hoops and parked cars, to allow for the leaf pick-up equipment to collect leaves.
- Crews will not pick up yard debris, tree branches, grass clippings, construction materials, or garbage during leaf pick-up operations.
Drop-Off Leaf Disposal
City of Hillsboro residents can also haul and dispose of leaves at two Saturday drop-off events.
- Dates: Saturday, November 10, 2018 and Saturday, December 15, 2018
- Time: 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Location: Fairground Sports Complex, NE 28th Avenue and Veterans Drive, next to the tennis courts
Only leaves, no other yard debris, will be accepted. While loose leaves are preferred, leaf drop-offs can be brought in biodegradable paper bags, not plastic, for easier recycling.
During these drop-off opportunities, the City of Hillsboro will be collecting canned food and nonperishable item donations, including peanut butter, canned meats, soups, chili, or cooking oils. All donations go to the Oregon Food Bank and stay in Washington County to feed our neighbors in need.