Under certain circumstances, based on program eligibility, the Transportation Utility Fee can be lowered or waived. Discount and waiver programs exist for both residential and non residential customers.
Residential Discounts and Waivers
There are five discount and waiver programs available for residential customers. These programs cannot be combined even if applicants are eligible for more than one discount or waiver. Applicants may only apply for one program. The following is a summary of the programs offered:
- Vacancy Waiver: For properties that are vacant, the Transportation Utility Fee will automatically be suspended if the water service for the residence has been suspended. The suspension will be prorated for the duration the water service is inactive. Other than discontinuing the water service for your property, no additional action is necessary to receive this waiver.
- Hardship Waiver: The Hardship Waiver provides a one year waiver for residents whose income is 60% below the median income for the State of Oregon. These limits adjust every January based on information provided by the US Census Bureau. The limits for 2019 are as follows:
|Number of Dependents including yourself||Annual Income||Monthly Income|
Qualifying residents must reapply each year to receive a waiver for the next 12 months.
- Unemployment Waiver: Unemployment waiver provides a 6 month discount to residents who have had one household member recently laid off from their job but whose previous year's income would not qualify them for the hardship waiver. Evidence of receipt of current unemployment benefits and proof of residency at the service address is required. Residents can reapply for the waiver if still under unemployment benefits after 6 months.
- Motor Vehicle Discount: A 30 percent discount can be obtained for households in which no one owns a motor vehicle. The discount is good for one full year after the discount is approved or until a vehicle is acquired by the household. Residents must demonstrate that each member of the household of driving age does not own a vehicle.
- Transit Pass Discount: A 30 percent discount can be obtained for households in which at least one household member can document a purchase of an annual TriMet pass. The discount is good until the transit pass expires.
Non Residential Discounts
There are three discount and waiver programs for non-residential customers. Non-Residential customers may apply for both discount programs. The maximum combined discount to be applied is 30 percent.
- Vacancy Waiver: For properties that are vacant, the Transportation Utility Fee will automatically be suspended if the water service for the property has been suspended. The suspension will be prorated for the duration the water service is inactive. Other than discontinuing the water service for the property, no additional action is necessary to receive this waiver.
- Employer Transit Pass Discount: Employers receive credit for the purchase of annual TriMet Transit passes for their employees. The discount percentage is based on the number of percentage of employees the employer purchases passes for. The credit is applicable for one full year. Employers may reapply for the credit each year. Discount percentages are as follows:
|% of Employees for Whom Passes are Purchased||% Discount|
|15% of employees||5% discount|
|30% of employees||10% discount|
|40% of employees||15% discount|
|50% of employees||20% discount|
|60% of employees||25% discount|
|70% of employees||30% discount|
- Employer DEQ ECO Program Discount: Employers will receive a credit for employers that have a commute options program that has been approved by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) in compliance with state Employee Commute Option and ECO Administrative Rules. The discount will be equivalent to the percentage of trip reduction demonstrated in the ECO employee travel survey, up to a maximum of 30%, conducted every two years. The discount will be effective for two years. Employers may reapply when a new ECO survey is completed.
For more information call 503-681-6146