In May, Hillsboro’s Safe Routes to School Program hosted its first My Best Walk/Best Ride Art Competition for Hillsboro students. Selected winners received art supplies and fun safety items to improve their visibility when walking to or from school. See the winning pieces of art.
Why Safe Routes to School
Hillsboro’s Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Program works with the Hillsboro School District to create safe, convenient, and fun ways for youth to walk and roll (bike, scooter, skateboard, or ride the bus) to and from school in our community.
The benefits of walking and rolling to school include:
- Increased physical activity which has been linked to improved health and increased learning, memory, and ability to stay on task
- Improved air quality around schools
- Reduced vehicle congestion
Hillsboro is a special place with diverse communities and beautiful landscapes. We can all benefit from fostering active and shared transportation for Hillsboro’s youth.
- Educate the community about the benefits of walking and rolling to and from school.
- Improve transportation for all students, parents, and teachers.
- Reduce the number of driving trips to and from schools to improve air quality and congestion.
- Identify supporters in schools to build the program and coordinate activities.
- Educate youth on how to safely use the system when they are walking and rolling.
The Tips to Plan a Safe Trip to School Flyer offers simple tips for children and parents to make walking and rolling to school a safe and easy option.
There are lots of ways to get started with Safe Routes to School in your school or neighborhood!
Visit our Getting Started with Safe Routes to School page to learn more!