Why Safe Routes to School
Hillsboro’s Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Program works with the Hillsboro School District to create safe, convenient, and fun ways for youth to walk, bike or roll (scooters and skateboards) to and from school in our community.
The benefits of walking, biking, and rolling to school include:
- Increased physical activity which has been linked to improved health and increased learning, memory, and ability to stay on task
- Improved air quality around schools
- Reduced vehicle congestion
Hillsboro is a special place with diverse communities and beautiful landscapes. We can all benefit from fostering active transportation for Hillsboro’s youth.
- Educate the community about the benefits of walking, biking or rolling to and from school.
- Improve transportation for all students, parents, and teachers.
- Reduce the number of driving trips to and from schools to improve air quality and congestion.
- Identify supporters in schools to build the program and coordinate activities.
- Educate youth on how to safely use the system through walking, biking and rolling.
The Tips to Plan a Safe Trip to School Flyer offers simple tips for children and parents to make walking and biking to school a safe and easy option.
There are lots of ways to get started with Safe Routes to School in your school or neighborhood!
Visit our Getting Started with Safe Routes to School page to learn more!
Recent and Upcoming Events
Walk and Roll Rodeo
On Friday, January 25, the Safe Routes to School program hosted our first Walk and Roll Rodeo at Patterson Elementary. View the Walk and Roll Rodeo Recap for more information about this exciting event.
Walking School Bus Rally
WL Henry kicked off their Walking School Bus program in January 2019 with a rally and two walking events. View the WL Henry Walking School Bus Recap for more information.
Sign up for our newsletter to learn about events happening in your area!
Have questions about the Hillsboro Safe Routes to School Program?