Why Safe Routes to School
Hillsboro’s Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Program works with the Hillsboro School District to create safe, convenient, and fun ways for youth to walk, bike or roll (scooters and skateboards) to and from school in our community.
The benefits of walking, biking, and rolling to school include:
- Increased physical activity which has been linked to improved health and increased learning, memory, and ability to stay on task
- Improved air quality around schools
- Reduced vehicle congestion
Hillsboro is a special place with diverse communities and beautiful landscapes. We can all benefit from fostering active transportation for Hillsboro’s youth.
- Educate the community about the benefits of walking, biking or rolling to and from school.
- Improve transportation for all students, parents, and teachers.
- Reduce the number of driving trips to and from schools to improve air quality and congestion.
- Identify supporters in schools to build the program and coordinate activities.
- Educate youth on how to safely use the system through walking, biking and rolling.
The Tips to Plan a Safe Trip to School Flyer offers simple tips for children and parents to make walking and biking to school a safe and easy option.
There are lots of ways to get started with Safe Routes to School in your school or neighborhood!
Visit our Getting Started with Safe Routes to School page to learn more!
Recent and Upcoming Events
Walk and Roll Rodeo
The Safe Routes to School Program will be hosting two Walk and Roll Rodeos at Hillsboro elementary schools this spring. A rodeo will be held for McKinney Elementary students on May 29th and for WL Henry Elementary students on June 12th.
Walk and Roll to School Month Challenge and Celebrations
In May, the Hillsboro Safe Routes to School Program will be working alongside schools in Hillsboro to encourage walking and rolling to school. Some may be hosting events throughout the month while others will focus their celebration on a single day.
The Wheel Fairy is Returning to Hillsboro Schools
The wheel fairies had so much fun last fall encouraging students who biked, skated, and scooted to school at four Hillsboro elementary schools that they are returning to two more schools this spring!
Sign up for our newsletter to learn about events happening in your area!
Have questions about the Hillsboro Safe Routes to School Program?