Groundwater Blending Begins July 10, 2019
On Wednesday, July 10, the Portland Water Bureau will be begin blending groundwater from the Columbia South Shore Well Field to supplement the Bull Run supply. At the same time, the Portland Water Bureau will increase the chlorine disinfectant level in response to seasonal changes in water quality.
The Tualatin Valley Water District (TVWD) purchases a portion of their annual drinking water supply from the Portland Water Bureau. As customers living in the Butternut Creek neighborhood in South Hillsboro are being temporarily served drinking water by TVWD, those customers may be receiving water that comes from the Portland Water Bureau.
Cryptosporidium Detections on May 12, 2019
The Portland Water Bureau detected Cryptosporidium, a potentially disease-causing microorganism, in water samples collected on May 12, 2019. Prior to this detection, Cryptosporidium was last detected from the Bull Run Watershed intake on April 29. The Tualatin Valley Water District (TVWD) purchases a portion of their annual drinking water supply from the Portland Water Bureau.
Customers living in the Butternut Creek neighborhood in South Hillsboro are being temporarily served drinking water by TVWD. Customers who live in the Butternut Creek neighborhood may be receiving water that comes from the Portland Water Bureau.
The State has determined that the public does not need to take additional protections at this time. There is currently is no evidence of an increased health risk to the general public given the low levels of Cryptosporidium detected; however, if you have a weakened immune system, you should seek specific medical advice from your health care provider.
The City of Hillsboro and TVWD will continue to monitor the situation in close coordination with the Portland Water Bureau and the local public health agencies.
- Call 503-615-6702
- Email the Water Department
- Visit or send mail to the City of Hillsboro Water Department, 150 East Main Street, Third Floor, Hillsboro, Oregon
- Visit TVWD’s webpage
- Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Cryptosporidium Website
- Access the Portland Water Bureau’s Cryptosporidium Monitoring Results
Butternut Creek is one of three new mixed-use developments under construction in the South Hillsboro neighborhood. The Butternut Creek development is located south of SW Tualatin Valley Highway and north of SW Rosedale Road off SE Butternut Creek Parkway.
The Hillsboro Water Department serves nonfluoridated water to the part of City of Hillsboro west of Cornelius Pass Road and south of Highway 26 (Sunset Highway), except for the South Hillsboro Butternut Creek Neighborhood. The Hillsboro Water Department also provides water to customers in western Washington County who live along Hillsboro's original service line.
While located within the City of Hillsboro, customers living in the South Hillsboro Butternut Creek neighborhood will be temporarily served fluoridated water from Tualatin Valley Water District (TVWD) until Hillsboro’s water pipeline construction in that area is completed.
The two other developments in South Hillsboro, Rosedale Parks and Reed's Crossing, will be served nonfluoridated water by the Hillsboro Water Department.
After pipeline construction is complete, the Butternut Creek neighborhood will be switched to receive the Hillsboro Water Department’s nonfluoridated water. Notification to affected residents will occur at that time.
Water Sources & Fluoridation
Hillsboro Water Department
- Hillsboro Water Department customers’ drinking water is drawn out of the upper-Tualatin River for filtration and treatment at either the Joint Water Commission Water Treatment Plant, or the Cherry Grove Slow Sand Filter Plant.
- Fluoride is not added to the water served by the Hillsboro Water Department.
- While fluoride can occur in drinking water naturally as a result of the geological composition of soils and bedrock, the Hillsboro Water Department has not detected any fluoride, natural or otherwise, in the drinking water served to Hillsboro customers.
Tualatin Valley Water District
- TVWD customers’ are served water from the Portland Water Bureau and the Joint Water Commission Water Treatment Plant.
- Before entering the water distribution system, fluoride is added to a portion of the water served by TVWD.
- TVWD uses sodium fluoride manufactured specifically for drinking water.
- TVWD does fluoridate the water being temporarily served to the South Hillsboro Butternut Creek neighborhood.
- TVWD’s fluoridated service area can be viewed on the TVWD Fluoride Map.
- Environmental Protection Agency Q&A on Fluoride
- Oregon Health Authority Public Health Division - Community Water Fluoridation
- Hillsboro Water Department Water Quality Reports
- Tualatin Valley Water District Water Quality Reports
Butternut Creek neighborhood customers will be billed monthly for utilities - including water service - by the City of Hillsboro Utility Billing.
Contact the Hillsboro Water Department
- Call 503-615-6702.
- Send an email.
- Visit the third floor of the Hillsboro Civic Center at 150 East Main Street, Hillsboro.
Utility Billing Information
Contact Utility Billing
- Call 503-681-6163.
- Send an email.
- Visit the Utility Billing Office on the first floor of the Hillsboro Civic Center at 150 East Main Street, Hillsboro.
Contact the Hillsboro Water Department
- During business hours, call 503-615-6702.
- For the after hours pager, call 503-615-6775.