Hillsboro has launched implementation of a creative, beautiful and functional wayfinding program! This comes after input from a wide range of stakeholders, from residents to community organizations to business and neighborhood groups to our youth. The program features multiple wayfinding elements including welcome gateways, vehicular and pedestrian directional signs, artistic banners, information kiosks, and parking identification. Goals for Hillsboro's wayfinding are to create a sense that you’ve arrived to an amazing City, to build identity and pride, and to help locals and visitors navigate and discover Hillsboro’s history, parks, culture and businesses. Watch for wayfinding elements to appear in Downtown Hillsboro in 2017, followed by multiple phases of installation around the community over the next number of years.
Click here to view the full design package. Please note that artwork included in the design is illustrative only and is not final. Our goal is to engage artists to create customized artwork that represents Hillsboro's diversity.
Read below for more information on the program, and please contact Communications and Marketing Manager Corinne Weiss with any questions.
Background on the Hillsboro Wayfinding Program
Hillsboro is a vibrant and diverse community. We take pride in our agricultural heritage and values as we continue to work together to plant seeds for livability, cultivate and nurture innovation, and grow great things. To support this, the City is working with community partners to create a wayfinding system that conveys “you have arrived to an amazing community!” We want to ensure this system reflects the great things that are growing in Hillsboro, generates community pride, helps locals and visitors navigate and discover our history, culture, parks, resources and businesses – and makes Hillsboro a place people want to live, work, visit, play and stay!
The current directional signage in Hillsboro is a jumbled and confusing array of sign types, colors and configurations – see visual on the right. Our goal is to transition to a strategic, trustworthy and consistent city-wide system over the next number of years.Hillsboro’s Wayfinding Vision:
- Authentically Reflect Hillsboro
- Provide a warm welcome
- Inspire exploration
- Celebrate history, culture and diversity
- Integrate graphics, public art, and the built and natural environment
- Incorporate pedestrian and bicycle wayfinding to encourage modes of transportation other than vehicular
- Reflect each unique area of town while identifying all as Hillsboro
- 2014-16: Creative & functional “Hillsboro” wayfinding design created with community input; Sign location map and specific sign messages plan created; Phased, multi-year installation plan created based on sign priorities and budget estimates for fabrication, installation and maintenance costs.
- 2017: Fabrication and installation of Downtown banners, info kiosks*, pedestrian directional and parking signs, and welcome gateways; Fabrication and installation of Orenco and Tanasbourne info kiosks and pedestrian directional signs; City-wide installation of major entrance intersection street name signs, and some welcome gateways.
- 2018-2020 (and beyond): Continued phased installation as budget permits, including welcome gateways, vehicular directional signs, and various Hillsboro wayfinding elements in the new South Hillsboro.
*The City has been awarded a $125,000 grant from the Washington County Visitors Association for Downtown Hillsboro digital and static information kiosks.
Please feel free to contact Communications and Marketing Manager Corinne Weiss with questions.